Westwood Theater

Westwood Theater. Courtesy of David Zoller
In February 1925 groundbreaking occurred on the corner of Birch and Fourth Streets for the Westwood Theater across the street from the Opera House to the north. The majestic three-story Tudor style building was built in a mere two months, and became Westwood’s tallest building. On Wednesday evening, April 22, 1925, the Westwood Theater opened its doors for its gala opening. All 1,100 seats were sold out for the viewing of the featured movie “The Sea Hawk.”
The Westwood Theater was not entirely dependent upon films originating from Hollywood. On occasions, the local residents were able to see themselves on the big screen. In the spring of 1921 the Anita Stewart Company had a contract to film the Great Western Power Company’s operations at Butt Valley. The film company while there used the opportunity to film Red River’s operations. In August, Stewart’s film of Red River’s activities made its debut at the Opera House. As one reviewer duly noted: “The film is a good reproduction of the many plant activities and the town of Westwood in general. It may need a little censorship before it is ready to go to the general public. One street scene shows the block wagon pounding along, evidently on a hurry-up trip to keep home fires burning. A little behind is the garbage wagon doing its part to make Westwood a rival of spotless town. These little details have been already enjoyed by the “home folks” but when it comes to a general public proposition it is not desirable to give undue prominence to these very necessary activities.”

Subscribe!

2 thoughts on “Westwood Theater”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *