Termo came into existence with the arrival of the NCO Railroad. The post office was first established on September 18, 1900, with Edmund Welch as postmaster. The post office then was discontinued on August 1, 1908, because the small community suffered from illusion of grandeur that never prevailed. With the arrival of new homesteaders, the post office was once again re-established on September 2, 1915. On January 31, 1989, postal officials from Reno, Nevada inspected the premises. They feared that due to the snow and ice accumulations on the building that it might collapse, creating not only hazard to the postmaster, but to the patrons as well. On February 2, 1989, the post office was officially closed.