Secret Valley is located approximately thirty-five miles northeast of Susanville. In the late 1880s, the region saw a surge in population with homesteaders arriving with the expectations of great things to happen by promoters of some reclamation projects. Thus, on May 6, 1890, the Secret Valley School was established.
During the late 1920s and early 1930s the school was known for its unusual schedule—it operated during the summer and was closed from November to February. The school closed in 1938. The last graduating class consisted of Emelia Diaz and Ida Nye. In 1940 the school district was annexed to Soldier Bridge.