In the summer of 1863, saw the establishment of Leesburg in the Willow Creek Valley. The Lee family located at the upper end of the valley and built several cabins, providing the nucleus of the community. While Leesburg’s existence was brief, the County of Lassen recognized the settlement. In 1864, the county created its initial voting precincts. The Willow Creek precinct was established and Leesburg was the designated polling place. In 1865, a German immigrant, Ben Neuhaus, located on the abandoned Leesburg outpost and it should be noted that his family still retains ownership, though it is better known as the Murrer Ranch.