Over the course of time the region has seen a wide variety of barn styles. Some had lasted through time and others not, for one reason or another.
In 1864, a German immigrant, Jurgen Jensen located in Susanville, where entered into a partnership with William Brockman, to operate a blacksmith shop. In the ensuing years, the two men, went off on their own, each locating on property along Johnstonville Road.
In 1891, Jensen had a large three-story barn built on his ranch. On September 11, 1923, the barn was destroyed by fire and it was believed to be caused by spontaneous combustion. Stored inside was 200 tons of hay, valued at that time around $3,500. The barn was insured for $1,500, but it was not enough to cover the cost to replace it.